Belize - Structure M11-2, 9, 10 & 13 – British Sugar Mill
Not on the main
site circuit, typically seen only by visitors who overnight
MILL NOT ON MAP)
Works Flywheel –
British Sugar Mill at Lamanai dates from AD 1860 – 1875 and
included approximately 200 acres of land that was planted with sugar
cane. The Indian Church
Plantation grant was awarded in 1837 but work on the mill did not
start until 23 years later in 1860.
It was a fairly archaic steam operated mill whose life was
19th-Century Sugar Mill at Indian Church, Belize.
Journal of the Society for Industrial Archaeology, Vol. 8, No.
by C. Belanger depicting the evaporation tank, the boiler, the boiling house, and
various other features of the remains of the sugar mill.
This historic structure is located in the M11 Quad that
constitutes some of the architectural features located furthest west
within the reserve. It is
unclear to this day why the mill was constructed so far west and so
far from the New River Lagoon that could have aided greatly in the
processing of the sugar cane (and the distribution of the end
product). As it was,
great efforts were taken to contain and move water to this western
Flywheel, covered by a Strangler Fig –
iron works of this fairly massive mill were placed upon ionic columned
arches constructed of brick. Some
theorize that the reason this mill in the jungle only survived 15
years was due to the fact the heavy iron works which cause a great
deal of friction when functioning was placed upon an unstable brick
Naturalist & Guide - describes
to visitors the intricacies of this
British Sugar Mill. The iron works directly above him consist of the
crushers and rollers.
N11 – East portion of Lamanai adjacent to the New River Lagoon
pumping station was recovered during the Tourism Development Project (TDP)
in 2002. It can be seen directly east of the main Visitor Center, and
just west of the sidewalk. It
provides us with information regarding the pumping of water to the
main mill located much further west.
historic remain of interest is the large brick cistern that is located
just west of the Spanish churches, it is still unclear whether this
structure held water that was utilized for processing sugar cane or it
may have provided a source of water for individuals residing in that
portion of the reserve.